macro lens choices

Started Nov 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
Calico Jack
Senior MemberPosts: 2,040Gear list
Like?
Re: macro lens choices
In reply to L R Harner, Nov 14, 2012

Never mind the OS versions . . they're grossly over-priced. One of THE best true macro lenses is the Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di LD 1:1 Macro. Check Onestop-Digital for price and see if you can beat it. I bought mine from them 5 or more years ago and still have the lens. It's superb. As macro is generally done in manual mode and possibly tripod mounted, and external flashgun also come in handy. If using on a tripod, turn off the SSS as you might burn out the motor. Also handy to have a remote shutter release, and sometimes a 2 second delay to avoid any residual vibration is also a useful technique, though often you have to hand-hold, in which case manual is still the way to go but with SSS on.

Tamron lens data

You can see some of my attempts with this lens on the A700 here. You may have to scroll through them. It's also a wonderful portrait lens too. It's super sharp and delivers crisp, colourful vibrant images. A terrific addition to anyone's lens line-up. Change the currency to your own region: OSD.

Remember, if you opt for a short range macro (30mm-50mm), you have to physically be closer to your subject which may get spooked if you try and approach and thus lose the shot.  The ideal focal range is 90mm-110mm, so take that into account before you buy.

-- hide signature --

Pirate!

Calico Jack's gear list:Calico Jack's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP AF 17-35mm F/2.8-4 Di LD Aspherical (IF) Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +26 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow