XE-1 owners.....Does the low resolution of the XE-1 screen pose a problem for you?

Started Nov 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
David V
Contributing MemberPosts: 981Gear list
Like?
XE-1 owners.....Does the low resolution of the XE-1 screen pose a problem for you?
Nov 14, 2012

I primarily shoot a D800 with a full lineup of pro lenses when I am doing serious landscape photography and have a Sony NEX 5N as my grab and go rig.  Other than video, I am really not happy with the 5N, as their lens lineup is truly the achilles heel of an otherwise great platform (I have no interest in manually focusing legacy lenses).  I have also been down the m4/3 path, and other than the Oly OMD, I have no interest at all in that platform.  I just don't feel like the DR is up to my requirements and the lenses are over priced for what you get, IMO.

With all that said, I am looking for a good second camera system (small and light) that has outstanding image quality for grab and go type photography with enough resolution and DR to print up to 20x30 if need be.  I know this is possible with the current crop of 16MP APS-C sensors, as I have prints this large from a 12mp D700 that large that are beautiful.

I have looked at doing a D600 or even a D5200 to leverage my existing lenses and accessories, but even something as small as the D5200 is going to be a bit too bulky and will get left behind more often than not.

In looking at all of the other small camera systems, it appears to me that Fuji has the best balance of size, image quality and outstanding lenses in their lineup, so I think I'm ready to make the purchase.  The XE-1 seems to be the camera for me, and it would be absolutely perfect for what I'm looking for, but what really bothers me is that is has such low screen resolution on the rear LCD.  I am used to looking at 920K screens on the Nikon and Sony camera's and I rely on the LCD to determine whether I nailed focus after the shot and was wondering if anyone else has a problem with the screen resolution being so low.

Lastly, I was wondering whether I could review the images on the digital viewfinder effectively or not.  I would imagine that it's too small, but I wanted to throw it out there.

I would have considered the X-Pro 1, but it is larger, more expensive, slower autofocus, lower VF resolution and does not have a flash built in.  I would imagine the X-Pro 2 will address some of these issues (at least the AF, VF resolution and possibly the flash), but I figured its all about the lenses and with their 18-55 and 35 f.1.4 I and an XE1 body now, I would be set to capture beautiful images, and have the flexibility to change out the body later.

Sorry for the long winded thread, but I want to pull the trigger and this is the one thing that has held me up.  Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

David V's gear list:David V's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.4G +12 more
Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D5200 Nikon D600 Nikon D700 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow