Micro 4/3 1.4 Teleconverter

Started Nov 11, 2012 | Discussions thread
Gregm61
Forum ProPosts: 13,389Gear list
Like?
Re: My preaching is falling on deaf ears...
In reply to Michael J Davis, Nov 14, 2012

Michael J Davis wrote:

daddyo wrote:

For some time now I have been extolling the merits of the Oly E-M5 Digital Teleconverter Function (DTC). I believe it is basically poo-pooed because as others have correctly pointed out, it only applies to Jpeg files, and can also be accomplished in post processing.

However, I have found it to be very handy in that it allows in-viewfinder composing, requires no extra processing effort, does not change lens aperture (as does an optical TC), and produces amazingly detailed/high quality images.

I have my FN1 button programmed to toggle it On and Off.

You have indeed, IIRC you advised me in the Summer.

I used it for the first (and only) time at a conference in August.

The good news is that, as well as the jpg, the camera records the RAW file. However, I find that the jpg increases the sharpness and contrast slightly more than I, ideally, would like. These changes, of course, cannot be reversed.

There's no point in putting up side by side images here, as the changes made by dpr to images are greater than those I'm trying to show.

There's always the option of turning both of those settings down when using the digital TC, but thenĀ again that points to why I rarely shoot jpeg.

While I am taking pictures, it's usually more than enough having to think about composition and exposure. Having to also consider whether my sharpening, noise filter, contrast, white balance or any other variable that affects the final jpeg at the same time, then remembering to set all that "stuff" back if I happen to change it for any one or set of shots, is more than I am willing to deal with as I am shooting.

-- hide signature --

"There's shadows in life, baby.." Jack Horner- Boogie Nights

Gregm61's gear list:Gregm61's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-300 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow