Helen
Senior MemberPosts: 2,863
Like?
Re: SEL1650 on Nex 5K?
In reply to quezra, Nov 14, 2012

quezra wrote:

Helen wrote:

GaryW wrote:

My guess is that without the software corrections, it'd be pretty bad at 16mm, requiring you to use software for each photo. Might be painful if you have to manually adjust each one. I guess I've resigned myself to the fact that the original Nex-5 is left behind in some of these areas. On the bright side, the sensor is still excellent, and I can still get the same good results as I've gotten before..

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

Indeed - it would work, but without any optical corrections, because they weren't ever available on the NEX-5 (or the 3 and C3 as far as I know). Interestingly, on a NEX-5R or 6, with this lens, the distortion correction is permanently set to Auto and greyed out so that it cannot be turned off. It can be turned off with the lens on a NEX-5N, and even when it's turned on, the camera only uses distortion correction on the taken shot (as of course do the 5R and 6 - the difference is that the new cameras also apply it to live view).

Interesting. If I'm reading you right, JPEGs shot with 16-50 on 5N are still fine in the final result, but you'll see distortion in the on-screen display before you have shot?

That's correct.  It's far more noticeable at the wider end - it doesn't seem to need so much correction at the long end.  At 16mm in live view you can see plenty of barrel distortion and also corner vignetting (there are several threads showing this in uncorrected RAW shots too).  Apparently it's also actually wider than 16mm optically, before correction.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow