DPReview's Percentage Score is Confusing.

Started Nov 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
JackM
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,276Gear list
Like?
DPReview's Percentage Score is Confusing.
Nov 14, 2012

So I was scratching my head over how the Nikon D600 scored an 87% while the D800 and Canon 5DIII scored 82%, and then I read how the scores are only relative to the camera's category. So the D600 scores 87% in its category of what, 3 cameras? The D800 and 5DIII score 82% in their category of 3 cameras? Ummmmm, what camera is DPReview waiting for that might score in the 90s? Does Phase One have a 35mm camera waiting in the wings we don't know about?

So if scores are only relative to the camera's category then it also stands to reason that they are also only relative to the camera's generation. The fact that a Canon 10D got the "highly recommended" rating in 2003 (which I believe translates to higher than 80%) has no bearing on ratings today. So again I ask, if the D800 and 5DIII are the best in their category and generation, why aren't they scored like 95% or more?? They are two of the most capable 35mm cameras ever produced at any price! Does DPReview have the gall to imply that at this time, Canon and Nikon could have made these cameras 18% better? That these cameras are somehow 18% less than the state of the art? By the time something comes along that beats them, we'll be into a new generation of cameras and a new, incomparable set of ratings. What gives?

JackM's gear list:JackM's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM +5 more
Canon EOS 10D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Nikon D600 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow