Dream Lens

Started Nov 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
mpgxsvcd
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,643Gear list
Like?
12-35mm F2.0-F3.5 with IS and internal zoom and with continuous aperture control
In reply to Valentinian, Nov 14, 2012

12-35mm F2.0-F3.5 with IS and internal zoom and with continuous aperture control

I don’t need a constant focal ratio. I just need one that has continuous aperture control while doing videos. However, it does need to have good IS for videos with my Panasonic cameras.

A lot of people ask for things like a constant focal ratio lens not really realizing what that actually will do. If you have a constant focal ratio zoom lens then you are sacrificing some of the aperture on the wide end in order to keep it constant. That is a foolish thing to do but it is probably easier to do that than it is to make the aperture adjustments smooth and continuous while zooming.

That is probably why the 12-35mm doesn’t have smooth aperture adjustments and the 35-100mm does and why the 35-100mm is that much more expensive.

Both of those lenses are constant focal ratios. However, the 35-100mm lens is the only one that is useful for zooming while filming because it has the continuous aperture control.

I need a bright lens at wide angles for indoors. I shoot mostly video at longer focal lengths so as long as it has IS I can make up the lost light with the GH3.

mpgxsvcd's gear list:mpgxsvcd's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow