Need some non-DSLR, non-superzoom options for trip.

Started Nov 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
Marco Nero
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,012Gear list
Like?
Re: Need some non-DSLR, non-superzoom options for trip.
In reply to BobT, Nov 14, 2012

BobT wrote:

Looking for a good camera for upcoming trip out west. Perhaps a Canon brand, perhaps another.

I don't want to lug around my DSLR gear all the time, and feel that a superzoom might not be the best tool for the job of mostly scenics, landscapes, etc. I also must stay under $500, and hopefully less if I can get one used. So what's your recommendation for the job. IQ is at the very top of the list; as I really want to return home with some great images for printing.

Current models, older models that have stood the test of time, these things don't matter much. Good IQ and and non-bankbreaking are the top requirements.

I'll research each suggestion offered. Thanks in advance.

I don't know what the current prices are in your location but the Canon PowerShot G1X is now the one camera I would highly recommend (above all other compacts) for a serious vacation camera. It was originally produced as an alternative for DSLR users who might want an all-in-one backup.  But you will find that it has the highest Image Quality of any compact digital on the market today.

Only three things to note:

* AF speed is fine unless you are a sports shooter.

* Macro/Closeup requires you to be at least 8 inches away from the subject at all times.

* A second battery is encouraged for days when you might need to take hundreds of pictures.

My G1X gallery is here but be aware that I used a Closeup lens for some of my Macro shots with this camera:  http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/5153841870/albums/canon-g1x

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Marco Nero.
www.pbase.com/nero_design

Marco Nero's gear list:Marco Nero's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Canon PowerShot S95 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 5D Mark III +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow