How do I chose a good budget desktop computer?

Started Nov 14, 2012 | Questions thread
FNorman
New MemberPosts: 13
Like?
Thanks everyone! I think I may have overresearched it a little bit.
In reply to FNorman, Nov 14, 2012

I'm currently using a Gateway laptop with intel's Core 2 Duo. It's about five years old now so even a simple program like Picasa seems to take a toll on it. Also there is a yellow line in the screen, which is why I'd like to buy the desktop/monitor separate.

Most of the stuff I have read keeps pushing me towards a more expensive computer, but since I don't do any heavy computing at some point it's more than I'll use/ or if I do use it down the road I will probably want a new computer by that time anyways.

I'm leaning towards the base level Mac Mini. I've used a Mac OS in the past on other people's computers and I don't like it any better than Windows (just as I don't like Windows any better than the Mac OS). I also like the small footprint of the Mac Mini. Of course when you add in the mouse, keyboard, and optical drive it starts to get expensive, but they seem well built and will probably last a long time (I would hope).

How hard is it to upgrade the memory if it becomes necessary (I see you can go as high as 16GB)/any idea on the cost of such an upgrade as I see apple wants an extra $100 for the 8GB? From things I have read it seems like it is something that would be easy to do on my own (again only if I decide down the road that I need it).

Just so I can make an informed decision, which Microsoft PC would you say is the most similar to a Mac Mini?

Suggestions on displays are appreciated as well.

Thanks again for the help.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow