Split Screen, ...Why aren't alternative VF screens available in modern DSLRs?

Started Nov 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
Theodoros Fotometria
Senior MemberPosts: 2,090
Like?
Re: Yes, wide pattern center weighting can still work
In reply to DANdeMAN, Nov 14, 2012

DANdeMAN wrote:

just Tony wrote:

DANdeMAN wrote:

just Tony wrote:

DANdeMAN wrote:

I have changed to a split screen and I can't say that there is a problem with metering.

I use center not spot metering, looks fine to me...

When I added a split screen to a D90 the widest CW pattern had no detectable shift, the middle pattern had a small shift that I could ignore, the narrowest CW pattern had a shift of about 2/3 stop, and spot metering at the center point shifted by 3-6 stops depending on the max aperture of the mounted lens.

Did your screen have micro prisms around the center split?

The one I have does not have micro prisms.

-- hide signature --

D800E "The Monster" (07-2012)

I believe it did, but the center of the screen seems more relevant to the center meter spot. Those prism wedges black out when you get off axis and the meter assembly is off axis. Try yours with spot metering.

When I get the chance (and remember), I will test it in a control environment; Matrix, center and spot metering with same lighting.

-- hide signature --

D800E "The Monster" (07-2012)

We shouldn't forget that we are talking about a non-genuine product... results could differ with a genuine one... Also, there are people that not only use their cameras only on manual but not using camera's metering either. Personally I don't use AF also on anything of 35mm and bellow.

Theodoros
www.fotometria.gr
www.fotometriawedding.gr

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow