Started Nov 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
chromnd
Regular MemberPosts: 333Gear list
Like?
Re: SEL18200 and SEL55210 with tripod?
In reply to ccolby, Nov 14, 2012

ccolby wrote:

Hello,

I just ordered a NEX-5N with SEL1855. I'm thinking someday (not right away) I'll get either the 55-210 or one of the 18-200 lenses to go with it. But I'm a little concerned about the lack of a tripod collar.

Do you folks use these lenses with a tripod? Is it stable, or will I be sorry?

Thanks.

P.S.: I've ordered a cheap OM adapter and will try the NEX-5N with my Zuiko 50mm f/1.4 and 50mm f/3.5 macro lenses. Alas, I sold my 21mm f/2 long ago.

I have to admit, that I do have problems with the SEL18200 and my tripod. There is no problem with basic stability, so I can easily mount the camera on the tripod and it looks steady.

My problem is wind. When I zoom the lens to full extend and there is some wind involved, I get vibrations. Those vibrations are not really visible from just looking at the setup, but the images get not as sharp as if I'd have used a bean bag.This micro-vibrations cause a little blur effect.

For this reason, the bean bag is my preferred method of using my SEL18200 at full focal length for long time exposures, as the lens and the camera are rock stable.

Unfortunately you need the right place to place the bean bag on, so it's not an universal solution.

chromnd's gear list:chromnd's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow