100-400 and 400 2.8 IS for Motorsport

Started Nov 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
A Owens
Senior MemberPosts: 2,188
Like?
Re: 100-400 and 400 2.8 IS for Motorsport
In reply to WindowLicker, Nov 14, 2012

WindowLicker wrote:

Just managed to get a 400 2.8 IS for a bargain, and already have a 100-400L. I wasn't initially impressed with the image quality and focus accuracy of the zoom but on my second outing I got these shots:

Goodwood

I really valued the ability to use the full zoom range and as I prefer long panning shots, the slow aperture doesn't bother me at all. But I did want to have the option to take the thin dof super tele shots and the 100-400 is too slow to really isolate a subject, hence my 400 2.8 IS purchase. my initial thought was to sell the 100 400 to help fund the 400, but I'm now thinking of swapping for a 135 f2, which would work with my 2x III extender would help me fill in the gaps.

the 100-400 and 400 would just be too much to lug around at a race.

-- hide signature --

Great shots of great machinery; especially I like the track shots which give a real sense of movement. My favourite would have to be the little Fiat/Lancia/Alpha (?) saloon opposite locked entering a corner taken from behind and rendered in BW - hope he made it around OK. Also like the DB4GT (my favourite car of all time) chasing the e-type. Finally, what it that maroon-coloured no.11  coupe in the third to last shot?

Thanks for sharing.
--
Alistair Owens
www.alistairowensphotography.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow