How big would a 100-200 f2.8 m43 OIS be?

Started Nov 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
rkeller
Senior MemberPosts: 1,066
Like?
Re: How big would a 100-200 f2.8 m43 OIS be?
In reply to micksh6, Nov 14, 2012

micksh6 wrote:

rkeller wrote:

micksh6 wrote:

Surely, some of that difference is the required image circle coverage too?

For long telephoto max aperture at long end and max FL define the size of front element group, and this group is the main contributor to lens size/weight.

It should be noted that the front element is the same size (or at least the same filter thread) for the 4/3 70-300mm vs. the m4/3 75-300mm, and the 30% weight savings seems a lot to be accounted for if it's just due to the 1/2 stop darker max aperture?

From the photos it looks like 4/3 version has significantly larger front element than m4/3.

BTW, filter size can be much larger than necessary. Oly 40-150mm also has 58mm filter size. But its front element is small, I use 46mm filters with step-down ring without problems on it.

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see the specs of the rumored 50-150mm f/2.8 if it actually is real. My guess is a weight of 650 grams. Care to offer your prediction?

If the rumor is true, my prediction is that they will make F3.5 max aperture at long end. By doing that they will be able to keep the weight below 500 gram. Constant F2.8 would weight at least 700 gram.

I think we are in agreement there: likely f/3.5 at the long end. Now to wait and see if this thing is real...

-- hide signature --

"If you simplify your English, you are freed from the worst follies of orthodoxy. You cannot speak any of the necessary dialects, and when you make a stupid remark its stupidity will be obvious, even to yourself." - George Orwell "Politics and the English Language"
"Unfortunately, in digital photography a lot of people are seeing pixels, not photographs ... Everyone together now: it's not the pixels. Sing it with me." - Thom Hogan
"If you pick up a camera with any sort of serious intent, you will at least occasionally need to use a flash. Done deal. Lock solid, Take it to the bank." - Joe McNally

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow