Olympus 40-150mm F2.8?

Started Nov 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
MatsP
Senior MemberPosts: 1,027Gear list
Like?
Re: Olympus 40-150mm F2.8?
In reply to captura, Nov 14, 2012

captura wrote:

The article says, "For the record, Olympus already has a 40-150mm zoom but that one has a f/4.0-5.6 aperture and by no means the same build and image quality of the upcoming new lens."

I disagree with this statement because I own this current 40-150, and it is one super-sharp great performing lens that exceeds any of the present Panasonic telephoto zooms. (with the possible exception of the newly available Panasonic 45-150. Granted, cheaper construction and plastic lens mount.

The new Olympus would by faster at f1.8 and would have a metal mount, and cost double the price. But not necessarily better image quality.

I agree that the 40-150/4-5,6 regarding IQ is an excellent lens, very sharp. I have got one myself. It is not badly built, but it has indeed a very plastic feeling. The good thing is that it is light, the bad thing that you have a feeling you have to be very careful when using it. I wouldn't mind a faster lens with equal or better sharpness, fixed 2,8 aperture, metal built and weather sealed. And a nice 2x extender as well!

MatsP's gear list:MatsP's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Canon Pixma MG8150 DxO Optics Pro Standard +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow