Why I Just Bought an Olympus Four Thirds Camera System

Started Nov 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
Andy Hewitt
Senior MemberPosts: 2,690Gear list
Like?
Re: In closing
In reply to kendrab, Nov 14, 2012

kendrab wrote:

It is clear this thread has struck a chord with people. There were lots of responses, and they helped me refine things a bit. I believe my general logic was on target for what I was trying to achieve. My choices would certainly have been different if I needed a higher level of performance, and had the budget to do so.

Absolutely, I think that would apply to most.

My thread may have seemed to be about the "goodness" of Olympus Four Thirds cameras and lenses, but it was really meant to highlight the general competence of many "non-current" D-SLR camera systems going back 3-4 years, and the significant savings still available when purchasing them.

For sure, or indeed further back than that. There are still many E-1 users (now nearly ten years old), and of course all of the earlier models (E-300/330/500 etc.).

Not only the savings that can be had by looking at the older models in the second hand market, by by also simply not upgrading if you have no real need to.

I'm always disgusted by the 'throwaway' society we have now, and how often I've seen such advice as 'you really need to buy the <latest model>'. All too often the hunt for the newest and supposedly 'better' features does not actually result in any better images (the E-1 is again testament to that). It's so easy to forget why you own such as device as a camera - to take photos. If those photos are equally as good when presented from the older camera, then there is no reason for the upgrade.

The way things are going in the camera market, if we aren't careful, there will be inexpensive camera phones and integrated lens cameras at one end, and super expensive full frame cameras with replaceable lenses on the other, with nothing in the middle for the rest of us. It would be a shame if that happened. I saw a similar process occur in the audio market. It wasn't pretty.

Yeah, it does seem to happen like that a lot, but the manufacturers will only try to meet the demands. If no-one is buying mid range stuff, then they'll simply stop making it. It's probably the area that's hardest to please. When times are hard, then people will simply buy cheaper, or indeed second hand.

All the best.

-- hide signature --

Andy Hewitt
Using Olympus E-420 and Apple Mac Mini '09.

Andy Hewitt's gear list:Andy Hewitt's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-S1 Fujifilm X-S1 Apple Aperture Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 Apple iPhone 4S
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow