Started Nov 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
EYeye
Regular MemberPosts: 185Gear list
Like?
D800 / D600 :ironic past review of D80?
Nov 14, 2012

It is late, and so I've little time for eloquence. I was re-reading a review of a then upgrade - the D80 - which jumped from 6MP to 10.2MP, from D70 (to a bit shy of the D200). I have been reading much about the D800 and whither leads the jump to 36MP (& some similar musings re: the D600's 24MP), as well as the D600's need for sensor cleaning. There are many discussions also of how the D800 (& 600) show the faults of lenses, and require different technique (shot discipline) to get good results. Please read these cut and pastes from Thom's D80 review of the day, and think about how these comments from days of yore relate to what seems to occupy so much forum space these days:

"Remember, you've got more data to store with a 10mp camera, so if you're used to shooting with a 6mp camera you'll probably want to invest in larger capacity cards. A 2GB card is relatively inexpensive these days and just about right for the average D80 user to standardize on." -AND- "10mp also means getting better at shot discipline. Fortunately, the D80 has both a delayed shutter ability and both infrared and wired remote release options. Learn to use them (on a stable tripod, of course) if you want to maximize what the camera can produce. Moreover, poor lenses tend to show their imperfections more clearly on the D80 than they do on the D50 or D70s. I've got a couple of lenses where chromatic aberration didn't really show up when used on the D70s, but is clearly present when I use them on the D80.

Still, 10 is better than 6. At low ISO values with proper technique with images printed at the maximum size a desktop inkjet allows (usually 13x19") you should see more detail resolved than you did in the past. If you don't, suspect your technique first, your support second, and your lens third. It's not the camera."

"Antidust mechanisms, while useful, aren't perfect. You'll eventually have to do a direct sensor cleaning on all three of the competitors, just not as soon as you might with the Nikon D80, all else equal. For what it's worth, Nikon has put a new anti-static coating on the filtration pack in front of the sensor, though for some reason they don't seem to mention that in their marketing (hey, Nikon, how many times do I have to say you need to improve your marketing?). I don't see sensor cleaning as a big deal in the first place, and most of those frightened into purchasing a camera with antidust mechanisms aren't likely to be the type that shoot in ways where they'll even see the dust (most Program exposure modes don't use small apertures, electing to keep the shutter speeds high to prevent camera shake and subject motion). We live in an age where fear is used to market products (and politicians), and dust is a fear issue rather than real issue, in my opinion. When you encounter it, you clean. But you should be cleaning your DSLR anyway, so adding another rather simple step to the regular maintenance list doesn't seem daunting to me. It shouldn't to you, either."

Finally: "We've now got enough pixels that the flaws of wide angle lenses, particularly chromatic aberration, are more apparent. The 12-24mm is a decent mate with the D80, but you'll see that it has a bit of CA you weren't seeing with the 6mp bodies."

The more things change, the more they are the same?

EYeye's gear list:EYeye's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR Nikon D80 +4 more
Nikon D200 Nikon D50 Nikon D600 Nikon D70 Nikon D70s Nikon D80 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow