Started Nov 11, 2012 | Discussions thread
Prakash Heda
Contributing MemberPosts: 505
Like?
Re: Obama must reject the GOP’s blackmail
In reply to nevada5, Nov 14, 2012

nevada5 wrote:

Prakash Heda wrote:

The bad things have already happened to the economy. Where have you been? The issue is whether we continue to slip-slide away or start making the hard choices to turn things around.

oh I was there in Bush presidency and seen that....but its high time fix it with tough measures....

Bush's fault. Sorry, I forgot that's somehow relevant.

It's high time? Now? OK, when does Obama start fixing things with tough measures? Where has he been for four years and tell me why he will do things differently.

What tough measures? When GOP is obstructing everything how can Obama do anything? Did you see the list of Bills GOP blocked below?

It took 14 years for things to fully recover after the Great Depression. Why do you think it would only take 4 years to fix the damage Bush caused? It'll take longer if we don't try, and we haven't tried very hard yet. Electing republicans means we want to stop trying altogether....

Also GOP should remember, its Obama's responsibility to fix economy not theirs (that's what I heard in election from GOP)

OK, but it has been his responsibility for the last four years and we are 6 trillion dollars deeper in debt. Why are you so sure he will suddenly do what is needed?

You will never understand, accepting truth is not repubs philosophy.....

Well, I'm not a Republican, so I can't answer for them.

In January 2001 when Bush Jr. took reins from Clinton. US debt stood at approx. $5 trillion. Annual surplus was $500 billion. Ten year projected surplus - $5 Trillion. According to the projections, the US would have paid off all its obligations by the end of the last decade.

In January 2009, after 8 years of Republican rule (6 of which Republicans controlled all two arms - all of congress and the White House). US debt stood at approx. $10 trillion. Annual projected deficit $1.4 trillion. Ten year projected deficit - more than $10 Trillion. According to the projections, the US would remain in debt, indefinitely.

I don't understand what point you're trying to make here. The deficit was what it was when Obama took office. He promised to cut it in half, which is a good start at what needs to be done. The problem is that he hasn't done it - in fact he's made it worse. We can't put Bush back in office and have him clean up anything. Obama took on the challenge and said he can do the job. OK. But when does he start?

Point is if repubs had continued this deficit right now would be much more, not 16 Tn, and economy would be worse, fixing this bad economy is no joke....and with GOP obstruction philosophy don't expect magic soon anyway....even Romney was promising only to balance budget in 8th year of his term, he was not even talking about reducing deficit....if Romney policies are applied then today debt would be 24 Tn....(there are no loopholes available to offset, unless he secretly told you)

In the great depression following the 1929 crash it took until WWII broke out, some 10-11 years later to recover, not 4 years.

Any reasonable person would understand that even four years is a short time in which to expect a recovery from such a huge mess, which everyone agrees is the worst in over 50 years.

Most of all, standing up to hostage-taking is the right thing to do for the health of America’s political system.

So stand your ground, Mr. President, and don’t give in to threats, time to call GOP's Bluff, no deal is better than a bad deal.

Harry Reid has said he has no problem voting to raise the debt ceiling to 18.5 trillion, without batting an eye. Couple the interest on this obnoxious debt with our huge outlay for entitlements, and how long do you think we can continue? You advocate letting Obama have his way, which is ignore the problems and fail to attempt to fix anything. It's four more just like the last four.

Sure you continue to live in the world on denial, tunnel view and fox channel and talk radio....

Obama administration's accomplishments

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3292812

Bills Republicans Have Blocked Since President Obama Took Office

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3293301

For Obama's first two years the Democrats had control of the House and the Senate. The Dems could do whatever they chose to do. So while the economy was tanking Obama thought that having the government control the health care industry was our most important issue. OK, so here we are. Obama chose his priorities. Can't blame Bush anymore, so blame the Repubs in congress. Who's in denial?

Did you see the list what he completed in in first term?

Obama took office at the end of January 2009. In Feb 2009 the unemployment rate was 8.1% - the same as the latest number for August 2012, so no change. BUT, the economy is not losing jobs at the rate of 600,000+ jobs a month. Instead, jobs are being created each month in the private sector, so we're better off there. With the demise of Bin Laden and other Al Queda leaders, we're more secure. We are out of Iraq and have less economic burden from that ill-conceived war, although we'll still have to pay the price for the aftermath of that war such as treating our wounded warriors and repairing/replacing weapon systems destroyed in that effort. American stature in the world community has risen with the elimination of waterboarding and torture techniques. Health care has been addressed and largely upheld by the Supreme Court, and more people are insured and gaining benefits. The stock market has largely recovered along with the retirement and college savings of millions of people. I'd say we are definitely better off. Considering the coordinated and uncompromising total opposition that President Obama faced in Congress from Republicans, I count his achievements as remarkable.

-- hide signature --

Hey, it ain't rocket surgery.
Larry
I'm experimenting with Quantum Physics and I just discovered that I can completely destr

-- hide signature --

Prakash
Www.starinnovative.com

-- hide signature --

Hey, it ain't rocket surgery.
Larry
I'm experimenting with Quantum Physics and I just discovered that I can completely destr

-- hide signature --

Prakash
Www.starinnovative.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow