In reply to Just Having Fun, Nov 14, 2012

Just Having Fun wrote:

andres76 wrote:

Just Having Fun wrote:

nevercat wrote:

Everdog wrote:

H. Paul Moon wrote:

whtchocla7e wrote:

What's the reasoning behind an upgrade from a 5N to a 5R?

If you're gonna waste money, might as well get good glass.

Are you serious? Answer: Lotsa.

The only reason you have mentioned is...

"I'm thrilled about the USB charging option now " and "WiFi"

Besides that is the limited PDAF worth $300?

Are there any reliable reviews on the benefits of PDAF on the sensor?

Well, as far as I know not! So how can you tell the PDAF is limmited?

Numerous threads have shown the PDAF is limited. Search and read them.

Start here...

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50103325

I REALLY want to like this camera, but so far like the OP and others, I think the 5N is a much better deal.

Well, get the 5-N then..! Life is full of choices and that's a beautiful think. Its seems the 5-N suddenly became the greatest camera ever (for some) after the price drop. Just keep in mind that not everyone makes buying decisions based on price only.

One can say that the 5-N is an awesome camera for the price (and I agree). But to say that it's better that the next generation of that particular model, and without anything tangible to support that theory is a little foolish.

Please don't be the fool here. All posters are claiming is that the 5N is better in low light (Proved by DxO), you can get the 5N for $250-300 less (check Amazon), and so far the benefit of the PDAF sensor is rather limited (read Sony's website).

Now what were you saying about "anything tangible"? You have to weigh your options. Do you pay $450 for one camera, or pay $750 for a similar camera with the same IQ (less in low light) but a few more gimicks? Maybe those gimicks are very important to you so for those who need wi-fi and are in some of the places camera apps are supported, then maybe the 5R is what you want. The OP seemed to find that the 5R was not for him.

Personally, I am still waiting for a solid review of the PDAF.

Fair enough. I get your point. What I'm trying to say is that by no means the 5R should be considered an inferior camera (like you're suggesting) just because is more expensive (or the 5N better 'cause is cheaper). Let's be objective and remember; the 5N was just $50 less that the 5R until a few months ago, and without PDAF, flip-up screen or wifi. Now, you can consider these new features gimmicks, but that's just your opinion. For other people (myself included) they might be worth the $300 price difference and I think it's perfectly respectable as well. I sold my 5N and was very tempted to order the 5R but finally decided to get the 6.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow