Best zoom for light weight travel?

Started Nov 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
Gregm61
Forum ProPosts: 13,599Gear list
Like?
Re: Best zoom for light weight travel?
In reply to Playapixie, Nov 14, 2012

Playapixie wrote:

If you could only cary one zoom for travel, what would it be?

I have a GF1 and am trying to decide which single zoom best meets my needs for travel. I travel very light weight and size/weight of gear is a strong consideration.

I used to have the Panasonic 14-140. I traveled SE Asia with it and then sold it. In retrospect, maybe I should have kept it. Image quality was very nice, but size/weight were an issue, so I thought I'd try something smaller.

I then bought the Panasonic 14-42 compact/retracting lens and took it on a trip to Spain. Everything about this lens is unsatisfactory except the size. Not sharp, dull contrast and colors, and the lever for zooming feels just wrong. I plan to sell this.

My travel lens dream list:

-compact and light

-punchy, sharp images

-fast (would love 2.8 or faster)

-good zoom range (does not need to be wide, as I also have the 14mm 2.5 and 20mm 1.7)

Just get the 45mm f1.8 and take the three primes. It's the only lens that fits all that criteria, except for the zoom part.

No micro zoom meets your stated specs.

-- hide signature --

"There's shadows in life, baby.." Jack Horner- Boogie Nights

Gregm61's gear list:Gregm61's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow