Which lens is good for normal point and shoot DSLR Cannon 5D mark III ?

Started Nov 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
Dan Marchant
Senior MemberPosts: 1,447Gear list
Like?
Re: Which lens is good for normal point and shoot DSLR Cannon 5D mark III ?
In reply to ideaboy, Nov 14, 2012

The Canon 40mm stm 2.8 pancake lens is a great lens and relatively cheap (as it is a prime). It is great for general walk around and family shots. In addition you will need to buy yourself a flash as the 5DIII has no built in flash.

Of course a decent P&S at a fraction of the price of the 5DIII would have been ideal for what you want to shoot (friends, family and holidays). The 5DIII is a great camera (utterly love mine) but it requires a lot more learning and practice before you get great photos out of it. Couple it with some professional studio lighting and you will get some great portraits. Stick an expensive long lens on it and you can get some great wildlife/sports shots. Put it on a tripod with the right filters and you will capture some stunning landscapes - none of which it seems you are planning to do. Leave it in green "automatic" mode to take snapshots of your family/friends and you just wasted thousands of $, because a good P&S would have done the job just as well. In short you just bought a Ferrari to drive to the supermarket.

I truly hope that this will be the beginning of a long and enjoyable journey for you and that you will make the effort (and succeed) in learning everything you need to know to get the most out of your camera. I would hate to think that your lovely 5DIII will spend its life driving to the supermarket and back.

-- hide signature --

Dan
-
I love my girlfriend, my dog and my canon 5DIII - even though none of them ever do what I tell them
I am learning photo graphee - see the results at www.danmarchant.com

Dan Marchant's gear list:Dan Marchant's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow