45mm vs Legacy 50mm

Started Sep 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
Navman
Forum MemberPosts: 67
Like?
Re: I have both lenses
In reply to fermy, Nov 14, 2012

My contribution to this is based on use of a 1.8 50 mm nikkor, which was definitely much lower contrast and had lower colour saturation than the 45 1.8 I now own - and love! However, for a contrasty subject with suitable light, the nikkor when stopped down to f4 or below could deliver stunningly sharp images - I gave it to my daughter and she still happily uses it. I've kept my Nikkor 135/28 and 200/4 though - I don't mind manually focussing them, and while they are both prone to magenta fringing, that's easily corrected in LR, and hey, the Olympus 12 mm produces some CA as well but produces great images. I took the 135 recently on an extended multi-day hike, and some of the images it delivered are stunning - I doubt whether any of the current zooms would exceed it either in durability or optical quality, and none of them get near it for speed. To me this is where legacy glass can still way outperform M4-3 lenses for some applications.

One of NZ's endangered native species - Blue duck or whio

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow