Started Nov 11, 2012 | Discussions thread
Noogy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,477Gear list
Like?
Re: With apologies
In reply to BAK, Nov 14, 2012

BAK wrote:

I have not read the thread. Shame!!!

But anyway, I bet you have a depth of field problem, I bet the distance from camera to subject changes between focus lock and shutter release, I bet the ability to fine tune focus manually is not being used, and I bet that at 6-8 feet, the autofocus point may be choosing something different to focus on from shot to shot; eyebrow or eyelases or nose shadow, or...

There's a lot to be said for manual focus when you want to use a fast lens wide open.

And from your original message, I think you may not uderstand just how thin depth of field is at f1.4 on any lens at any distance.

BAK

And I never for a moment discounted the possibility it may be an error on my part. Often, locking focus is not practical especially when we're traveling as a group from one spot to another very frequently.

I also understand the very marginal DoF at 1.4 and that's part of the challenge. This lens just keeps focus hunting with the slightest movement of the subject. After doing some micro-adjustments last night, it seems to be doing better even in low light (following the advice of user mshafik and huddpa). Let's see.

-- hide signature --

JCC
"Photography is therapeutic."
http://www.pbase.com/joshcruzphotos

Noogy's gear list:Noogy's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha NEX-5 Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow