Started Nov 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
stevesayskanpai
Regular MemberPosts: 181Gear list
Like?
'Cheat sheet' for photography
Nov 13, 2012

I'm trying to put together a 'cheat sheet' for photography, listing in bullet points information for when I'm travelling to jog my memory.

Examples: when to use A/S/M mode, settings for bracketing (AUTO iso off, A mode), settings for metering and focus (when to use AF-S, AF-C), and settings hints in bullet points for different scenarios (e.g. low light, waterfalls, birds, sunsets, fireworks, portraits (staged), street photography.

I find Ken Rockwell's site useful for this kind of stuff as, like him or not, he's opinionated and gives concrete settings advice. I'm trying to collate information similar to what he provides to get lots of different opinions, and was wondering if (miraculously) anyone has come across any particular sites for this sort of thing?

I find this an antidote to some photography books that are lauded for their insights, but I come away from them with nothing concrete to try out in the field.

I've probably explained this terribly, but if anyone has any links (particularly tailored to Nikon) for either books or websites that provide settings advice, I'd be most grateful. I realise everybody's needs are different - but we learn by sharing what settings work for us and for other people - and then trying them out.

stevesayskanpai's gear list:stevesayskanpai's gear list
Nikon D40 Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +1 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow