Any E-PL5 Raw video samples and/or control reviews?

Started Nov 13, 2012 | Questions thread
JayBratcher
Regular MemberPosts: 275Gear list
Like?
Re: Any E-PL5 Raw video samples and/or control reviews?
In reply to Arnemach, Nov 13, 2012

I would say the controls are fine for the type of camera that it is - certainly better than several DSLRs.  There is no focus assist in video mode that I have found though.

That is the good news.  The bad news is that the video quality leaves a lot to be desired.  What I am finding is that the quality deteriorates over a group of frames, then suddenly snaps back to what it should be.  It's not pronounced if you are shooting a relatively stationary scene, but if you are panning, you will notice it.  Here are 2 sequential frames I shot to illustrate this point (sorry about the crappy color and contrast - I do believe both of those can be fixed):

The first one was actually the last in a series of frames that started by showing artifacts on the fence in the background, and ended with the mushy, pixelated mess that you see there.

The next frame is back to normal, and despite the color and contrast, I think this would be perfectly acceptable.

I'm going to do more testing to see if I can work around it, but I would say the E-PL5 is a horrible video camera at this point...

JayBratcher's gear list:JayBratcher's gear list
Nikon D70 Pentax K-5 IIs Olympus PEN E-PM2 Sigma 24mm F1.8 EX DG Aspherical Macro Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow