I'm about to pull the trigger on an Olympus D-OM5, any recommendations?

Started Nov 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
Gregm61
Forum ProPosts: 13,968Gear list
Like?
Re: I'm about to pull the trigger on an Olympus D-OM5, any recommendations?
In reply to DLBlack, Nov 13, 2012

DLBlack wrote:

marike6 wrote:

DLBlack wrote:

Olympus is soon going to have the 17/1.8 lens out that just might, atleast for the rumorred price, out perform the 20/1.7. Time will tell. One advantage of the 17/1.8 is that it will have a distance scale so that you can zone focus.

With the 17 1.8 rumored to be approximately double the price of the 20 1.7, I'm not sure how it's going to outperform the 20 1.7. One thing we know is it won't outperform it from a price/performance POV.

Personally, I love the 20 1.7 because it's of it's incredible sharpness, small size, solid bokeh, and it's slightly wide "normal" field of view. And as much as I like the PL 25 1.4, in some ways the 20 1.7 is more versatile because it focuses down to 6", instead of the 1 foot of the PL 25 1.4. Still, either the 20 1.7 or 25 1.4 are two lenses that you cannot go wrong with (reports of banding issues aside).

The first images that were posted here from the 17 1.8 didn't set the world on fire, but I'm certain it will at least be a better lens than the Olympus 17 2.8 pancake that it's replacing. It features the more modern AF motor (MSC) than the Panasonic 20 1.7. And even though it will have a metal barrel, I'm not loving Olympus's new trend with pricing if the 17 turns out to be over $600 without the lens hood.

True the 20/1.7 will outperform the 17/1.8 when you factor in the price. After looking at the first images from the 17/1.8 I am still looking forward to getting my copy of it.

The 17mm f1.8 and 20mm f1.7 should be close to the same in terms of optical performance other than the marginally wider FOV of the 17. What the 17mm lens will do is focus way faster based on how fast every other Olympus lenses using the MSC system does. The build-quality of the 17/1.8 will be substantially higher compared to the 20mm f1.7 just like the 12mm f2 is compared to the 20. Whether that's important to anyone or not, a significant part of the price difference will be due to that difference, and with the same focus-shift mechanism of the 12mm f2, you'll be able to preset the 17 to infinity if you'd rather skip AF all together.

-- hide signature --

"There's shadows in life, baby.." Jack Horner- Boogie Nights

Gregm61's gear list:Gregm61's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow