Started Nov 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Kolen
Senior MemberPosts: 1,015Gear list
Like?
E-PL5 movie mode digital tele-converter mini test
Nov 13, 2012

I am quite interested in the digital tele-converter in movie mode so I perform a mini test on it.

And note that there's two ways to have digital teleconverter. The usual one that can also be used in still mode has 2x, and the dedicate one that can only be used when the movie effect is turned on, is 4x.

I then use ISO 200, 1/30s, 14mm, F3.5 to perform a test on all 3 ways, without TC, 2X TC, and 4X TC.

What's not surprising is that the 4X TC degrades the quality. The sensor just don't have enough pixel density to have 4X TC pixel to pixel (hence GH2 has 2.7X pixel for pixel TC).

Surprise 1: 2X TC degrades quite badly

Surprise 2: 2X TC is worse than 4X TC.

So the conclusion is I'd not use the TC in movie mode unless necessary, and if the subject is too far that it has to be used, better use 4X than 2X.

Kolen's gear list:Kolen's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony Alpha NEX-C3 Nikon D800E Olympus PEN E-PL5 Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM +32 more
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow