50mm "Normal" Lens... Ok, but "Normal" on FF or APS-C Sensor?

Started Nov 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
jrtrent
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,403
Like?
correct distance
In reply to Lee Jay, Nov 13, 2012

ljfinger wrote:

"the correct distance". How is that defined?

I'm thinking it's about the same way you and/or Barrie defined it.  In the abstract I linked to in a post above, they said, "The retinal images generated by a photograph and the original scene are the same when the viewer is at the photograph's center of projection (CoP). The distance of the CoP is the lens focal length multiplied by the print magnification. When viewers look at a photograph from closer or farther than the CoP, the geometric information in the retinal image specifies a scene that is respectively expanded or compressed."

In other words, a 180 degree fisheye is "natural" for that viewing method.

Thanks for that.  I'm only about an hour and a half drive from the Pacific Science Center in Seattle, and that's listed as a venue for IMAX.  I'll have to go see what it's like.  Seems to me I saw something similar as a kid at a fairgrounds, but the film they chose was of things like flying in a helicopter over mountainous terrain with unexpected dropoffs and such.  In my current state of decrepitude, a film like that would probably just induce a vertigo attack.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow