Switching from PC to Mac.. anything you wish you knew?

Started Nov 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
mike_ski
New MemberPosts: 12
Like?
Re: Switching from PC to Mac.. anything you wish you knew?
In reply to Tom_N, Nov 13, 2012

I switched to a 27" imac from a 15" Windows laptop almost two years ago.  I admit I was expecting great things because I had read and was told that a Mac was the way to go for photos and video.  It is true that the Macs come with very capable software for these applications, as well as an upgrade path to higher end versions of similar software.

I really love the 27" high-res screen.  I like the decreased real estate my imac takes up compared to a comparable desktop (I have it set up in a home music recording studio).  It works considerably faster than any Windows machine I've had, and seems to run very stable (although it has had its hiccups).

The down side - I should have learned more about software and what I want the new tool to do.  It turns out that in multimedia (music, stills, video combined), much of the software and hardware accessories available at low prices, i.e., the best bang for the buck, is on the Windows platform.  The industry caters to young would-be producers without much money, not high-end, artsy-fartsy studios that can afford anything.  This industry assumes, in my opinion, that if I was really serious with my Mac, I would be splurging for Final Cut Pro and other high-end software (100's or 1000's of dollars) vs getting some third-party Windows app that can do 90% of what the high end Mac stuff can do for about $79.95.  My recommendation is to figure out what you are trying to do with your photography and videos, investigate the software that does what you want at the level you are willing to pay, and buy the platform that runs that software.  You may be surprized (but happy) with what you ultiimately end up with.

I have no regrets.  I've learned alot.  I have a great tool that I'm customizing to my use (including running Parallels so I can run Windows on it after all).

Mike H.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow