Performance Review of Panasonic GX 35-100mm f/2.8 Lens

Started Nov 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
mpgxsvcd
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,640Gear list
Like?
Re: Performance Review of Panasonic GX 35-100mm f/2.8 Lens
In reply to William Castleman, Nov 13, 2012

Excellent test. Seems to be a very thorough test as well. Funny that it found the exact opposite of what some of the other sites found.

Your test indicates that the 35-100mm needs to be stopped down slightly at the 35mm end and at 100mm it actually does quite well on center at F2.8. That is exactly what I have observed with my 35-100mm lens. I use it at 100mm F2.8 pretty much all the time.

Another important thing to remember is that these are tests that attempt to put real world results into easy to read numbers. They really don’t tell you how much of a difference a few LW/PH really makes.

What is nice is that this review actually shows you the images that were taken. I compared the images and I really couldn’t distinguish a difference at about 300 LW/PH. That sounds like a big number but in real world images it really isn’t much.

Also focusing inaccuracies can affect the lens sometimes more than stopping down will.

Don’t be afraid to buy this lens and shoot wide open with it all the time. It is exceptional wide open.

I disagree with your conclusion here a bit.

You said:

"Central image sharpness is good at the focal lengths tested. At 100mm, f/2.8, images are sharp enough in the center of the lens field for portrait purposes. Image edges at large aperture are soft. Image sharpness does not approach that of the Olympus 75mm f/1.8 lens."

According to your test results the 35-100mm doesn't match the 75mm F1.8 @ 75mm. However, at 100mm it comes very close to matching the 75mm's on center performance. The sharpness for this lens is not linear across the whole lens. Are any zooms linear like the primes?

I would be hard pressed to tell the difference between a 75mm F1.8 image and a 100mm F2.8 image if the fields of view are the same.

mpgxsvcd's gear list:mpgxsvcd's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow