Is the new Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II worth $1300 more than a good used mark I?

Started Nov 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
lancespring
Senior MemberPosts: 2,327Gear list
Like?
Re: Is the new Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II worth $1300 more than a good used mark I?
In reply to Dave Seeley, Nov 13, 2012

Dave Seeley wrote:

Looking at buying a Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L... new II for $2300, or a used mark I for about $1000.... Looks like reduced chromatic aberations are the main upgrade? Was that really a big issue in the first version?

Here is a real good video showing a shootout between the Canon 24-70 F2.8 II vs. Tamron's new 24-70 f/2.8 SP Di USD VC.

http://youtu.be/wcsnsJUKhAg

The Tamron costs basically half the price of the new Canon, yet also offers image stabilization. It also does just as great a job controlling chromatic aberrations as the new Mk II. Resolution is almost as good too. Center is super sharp at f/2.8, although border sharpness does not match the new Canon when wide open. Stop the Tamron down slightly, though, and it is about impossible to see any difference.

If you want another option to consider, do look at the Tamron. Only slightly more than an older Mk I, has many of the benefits offered by the Mk II, plus if you shoot any video, VC is a nice feature to have available.

lancespring's gear list:lancespring's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D600 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow