5D3 and an original 580ex flash. not working so well

Started Nov 11, 2012 | Discussions thread
ystein Bach
New MemberPosts: 4Gear list
Like?
Re: 5D3 and an original 580ex flash. not working so well
In reply to SwampYankee, Nov 13, 2012

I have the 5dmk3 and both 580ex and 580ex2 flashes.

I have found out that shooting in M is very simple and the results are superb. The only exception is when you need to compensate for extra/less flash. Set the flash to ETTL mode.

In M I set the tv to 1/60 (typically) and the shutter to 5.6 - 8 for regular snap shots and family pictures inside. Set the ISO to Auto, point and shoot and every picture in perfect. I have experienced similar problems in the past with 20D. I found out that bounce flash and the wide angle lens are certainly not working well. My best flash shots is by using bounce flash to the ceeling, the head at 60deg. tilt and the catch-light reflektor in use if the flash is pointing forward. Even better is the flash pointing backward or side-ways to a light wall or some curtains, works as a huge soft-box.

Try it, and let us know.

brg

Øystein Bach

ystein Bach's gear list:ystein Bach's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow