X2 Testing & thoughts on VF2
6 months ago
Thoughts on Olympus VF2 on X2 (I guess would equally apply to the Leica EVF2):
1. It is unexpectedly good quality. I was expecting to be disappointed after using the 2mp display of the Nex 7 but I haven't been. Its bright and stable (no doubt due to the 60Mhz refresh rate). Its a world better then the Fuji X100 or xpro-1's EVF.
2. Higher resolution then the back screen
3. It fits quite securely on the hotshoe. Despite this, it is relatively easy to remove and put back on when necessary. It comes with a small carrying pouch. (I keep it on all the time)
4. The on/off button on the back is easy to press and well designed
5. The benefits are many: (a) easy to use in bright sunlight, (b) less camera shake when held against face, rather then at arms length using the back-screen, (c) don't look such a dork when taking pictures
6. You can change brightness on the X2 of the screen and EVF independently
The main thing I would add to the implementation would be an option to see shooting info and to be able to review the picture on the back screen whilst the EVF is on
Summary: Get one if you haven't already !
Testing pics form the X2. This really could be a main camera: