7D Prime Lens

Started Nov 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
Noogy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,453Gear list
Like?
Re: 7D Prime Lens
In reply to Spielnicht, Nov 13, 2012

Spielnicht wrote:

Happy to say I'm new here and just recently upgraded from a 550D to 7D which I LOVE.

I am looking for a prime lens and finding myself confused as to what is my best option. To give you some context, my primary use for it are portraits and indoor flash-less shots of my kids and such. Oh, I forgot to mention video as well. Basically this will be my walkabout lens (I prefer to use my feet to "zoom").

I just got the Canon 50mm F/1.4 which I really like, no problem there. My only concern is that it's too hard to use indoor as I can't step back enough in a room to capture more than a head and I realize that's because the lens is technically working at 80mm due to the crop factor. I still have a window to return it, so I need to make sure I really want it or I should return it for something else.

So my #1 and only requirement is low f stop.

My options are the Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM which puts it at 56mm. I've used a friend's 5D MIII with a 50mm and it was PERFECT. However, we're talking $1200.

My second option is the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 which is for crop sensor cameras only at $450.

My third option is to obviously keep the 50m f/1.4 but I'd be kidding myself as it's really a "80mm" lens on the 7D.

Help.

Have you looked into the new 40mm f/2.8 STM pancake?  I have the 50mm f/1.4 USM as well, but I think nothing beats the new pancake lens in terms of value for money and ease of use (both for photo and video).

Sample cropped image below:

-- hide signature --

JCC
"Photography is therapeutic."
http://www.pbase.com/joshcruzphotos

Noogy's gear list:Noogy's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha NEX-5 Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow