Asked to photograph for review website, and stock, HELP regarding percentage&rates%rights etc!!

Started Nov 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
Dan Marchant
Senior MemberPosts: 1,604Gear list
Like?
Re: Asked to photograph for review website, and stock, HELP regarding percentage&rates%rights etc!!
In reply to cactusmelba, Nov 13, 2012

You need to treat this as a proper business arrangement or you are going to end up ruing a friendship.

1. The website is a business which is currently asking you to do work for them for free. They are using your images to build their business which may one day be of value to them.

2. Working for free on the basis that "one day...." is seldom a good idea. I have seen far too many cases where the person in your shoes ends up on the outside looking in at a business they halped to get off the ground and for which they have received no real reward.

3. Given that they aren't paying you to take the images (and therefore it is costing you time/money) and they are benefiting from use of the images for free to build their business..... why exactly is it that you think they should also get a share of any Stock photo sales. There are a host of stock agencies out there - you could easily go to them and sell your images.

-- hide signature --

Dan
-
I love my girlfriend, my dog and my canon 5DIII - even though none of them ever do what I tell them
I am learning photo graphee - see the results at www.danmarchant.com

Dan Marchant's gear list:Dan Marchant's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow