shutter shock

Started Nov 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 18,726Gear list
Like?
Re: shutter shock - Mechanical resonance effect.
In reply to Peter Heckert2, Nov 13, 2012

Peter Heckert2 wrote:

Hi,

I believe it is a matter of accidential resonances.

If the optics is vibrating, the image becomes unsharp.

Also you can get an unsharp image using a heavy and stiff tripod and get a sharp image which a lighter tripod that is well dampened. Sometimes loosening the mounting plate at the tripod helps, because this surpresses resonances.

Look this:

With the supporting srew in the middle I get almost no blur.

The arrangement is already very stable without this screw, but this screw makes it really stiff and prevents vibrations.

Without the screw I get blur. It is not camera shake blur. The blur is caused by an unstable vibrating lens.

Probably in most cases one would get less blur, if the camera is supported by the hand, because this dampens vibrations. So, using a tripod /can/ have an adverse effect.

Best,

Peter

I understand what you are saying when you suggest that supporting the camera by hand might give less vibration due to shutter shock than when it is tripod-mounted. Having experimented with this quite a bit (see the links in my first post in this thread), however, I am ready to say that this is not the case in practice. Although I have encountered cases where I get blur due to shutter-shock even with the camera on a tripod and even with anti-shock enabled (e.g., with my 100-300 at the long end), I have yet to encounter a case where the shutter shock is more troublesome when shooting from a tripod than when shooting hand-held. As a rule, it is the other way around. Except with very long FLs, you'd be hard pressed to see much, if any, shutter-shock effect with camera on a tripod.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow