Considering a TS lens

Started Nov 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
Lost in Time
Regular MemberPosts: 207
Like?
Re: Don't go tilt/shift for miniature effect alone; rent or "free lens."
In reply to hjulenissen, Nov 13, 2012

hjulenissen wrote:

What I want to do is to give the appearance of very large DOF without the associated loss in resolution stemming from small aperture. This can be done with focus bracketing, but I orefer to not do that.

This is definitely the right reason to consider a TS. It is easy to take a single image and blur parts of it (fake-minature effects etc), but it is very hard to do the reverse...

If this is the route you want to take, you will probably find the 24mm more interesting than the 17mm, simply because the tilt effect is more pronounced. It is also cheaper and more practical (filters), though it lacks some of the 'wow' factor with the 17mm's field of view (though as mentioned, you could stack a TC with the 17mm, although I have not tried this).

Something else to consider is that you will need to use a tripod to use the tilt function.

With shift, I can usually use the TS lens hand-held, using the optical VF and focus confirm, however with tilt I find I need to use live-view with maximum magnification to check the focus.

Even slight movements of the camera have a big impact on the focus plane, so you will want a tripod and a lot of patience. I need to check focus at several points on the image, and the normal phase-detect focus confirmation generally does not work. I also usually end up using making heavy use of  bracketing - for some reason that I don't fully understand, using combined shift+tilt on the 17mm can leave the metering out by several stops.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow