50mm "Normal" Lens... Ok, but "Normal" on FF or APS-C Sensor?

Started Nov 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
jrtrent
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,405
Like?
Re: A normal lens has about a 45 degree angle of view -From 1922 book.
In reply to jvkelley, Nov 13, 2012

That's a great little booklet; thanks for pointing it out.  I need to remember to take greater advantage of all the free reading material Google and other sources make available.

About the angle of view, the author didn't specify whether he was talking about horizontal or diagonal angle of view, but the 2 1/4 X 3 1/4 Icarette camera he used for plate 1 had a 105mm normal lens, which corresponds pretty closely to a 45mm lens on a 35mm format camera.  A major part of his article, however, was improving the prints you choose to hang by cropping, manipulating L-shaped frames on a proof of the original negative to "find the picture," which, of course, gives the resulting image an even narrower angle of view.

I still agree with Tamron that "normal" isn't a single focal length, but can be anywhere between 40 and 60 mm (for a 35mm format camera), but I'm intrigued by the Journal of Vision abstract I referenced above which found focal lengths of 50-70mm to produce the least compression/expansion effects in images viewed by their test subjects.  I already know from experience that I personally find focal lengths shorter than 50mm too wide for my tastes, but I'll have to experiment more with focal lengths up to 70mm.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow