Setup for using G1X to copying old slides and negatives

Started Nov 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
Ralph46
Senior MemberPosts: 1,182Gear list
Like?
Re: Setup for using G1X to copying old slides and negatives
In reply to Ron Hirsch, Nov 13, 2012

Hi Ron,

I don't know specifically about the G1X macro suitability for your task but I can tell you about some pitfalls that I have experienced with other G- and S- cameras (and DSLRs) for this application. I have found that the "macro" modes and/or close-up lenses (think only of 2-element achromats - they are far superior) allow excellent closeups of bugs etc. BUT...... the problem for slide duplication is called field curvature and means that you can decide between getting the centre or the edges of your photo in focus. No problem for bugs etc. but for slides or coins etc. it is a problem. Stopping down reduces it, but somewhere around f/11 (for the G1X) you start getting diffraction softness. Distortion can also be obvious, depending on the system used.

Yes, there is a reason why macro lenses of many hundreds of $ are bought and used for closeups in preference to much cheaper solutions.

You will have to try out your closeup lens on the G1X to see how the result is.

I am considering the purchase of a G1X, so I would be interested in your findings. Please post.

Cheers,  Ralph

-- hide signature --

Ralph46's gear list:Ralph46's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow