Started Nov 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Paalar
Forum MemberPosts: 96Gear list
Like?
FZ200 vs Canon C-size DSLR Sports and action
Nov 13, 2012

It is arguably the case that sports and low-light photography depent on the camera's ability to use a high ISO with low noise to capture action using fast shutter speeds.

Let's see how the C-sized Canons compare to the FZ200 on paper, taking DxO's image sensor data as our point of departure.

They define a usable image as one with a 30dB signal-to-noise ratio. Thus the FZ150 (similar enough to the FZ200 for our purposes) has a highest usable ISO of 130. A typical Canon (they're all pretty similar) has 700 ISO. That's roughly 2 and 2/3 stop.

If you fit a typical SuperZoom lens to the Canon body, let's say the mouch toutet Sigma 18-250 Macro OS HSM, and compare the two cameras in a sports shooting situation, you find the following: OMG! The difference in f-stops between their lenses at tele settings exactly even out the differences in noise performance!

So shooting for the same IQ - noise wise, there is no difference.

The pros and cons are then reduced to:

Canon: better color rendering because of its larger sensor, SLOW autofocus

Panasonic: Better resolution (The Sigma sucks big time in comparison to the FZ), FAST autofocus, better image stabilization, faster cont. shooting, only half the weight, 1/3 of the price.

I made this a theoretical and fact-based comparison, instead of a shoot-out. Yes, I have both cameras, and I can post pictures that bear out my claim, but I though the data from Dxo might carry more weight!

The reason I pick a SuperZoom lens for the Canon, is that that's the way most DSLRs get fitted out, andd that's how they get to be carried around on hikes and walks. So I try to compare like with like. General day-to-day cameras based on two differemt technologies.

Paalar's gear list:Paalar's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
Canon EOS 30D Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow