Flat view
BigBarney
Senior MemberPosts: 2,722
Like?
Yes folks it really does happen!
Nov 13, 2012

There is an amusing Youtube video at:

http://www.youtube.com/user/dslrgearnoidea

It shows the kind of scrape that dSLR 'photographers', for whom style is more important than substance, can get into. Yes I know that it is tongue in cheek, but it really can happen. Earlier this summer my wife and I were on a short cruise up the Croatian coast north of Split. Our boat docked at the city of Sibenik (apologies for the loss of the diacritical mark which shows that it is pronounced as Shibenik). At 1900 hrs (7p.m.) we decided to take an evening stroll around the fascinating old city, aided by the light of a full moon in an almost cloudless sky.

I stopped to take a photo of the dome of the cathedral framed by trees in the moonlight. My exposure on the GH2 with the 14-140mm lens at 48mm was 1/8 second, f5.5 at ISO 800 handheld. I should perhaps have used my monopod as it is sharp but not sharp enough for the most critical eye; it certainly captures the mood.

Then up walks our tour group Nikonaut, zooms out to full telephoto with her kit zoom lens, raises the flash and fires away. She got a good exposure of a road sign with a dark mass of the cathedral in the background. Yes folks it really does happen! Her companion was shooting with an Olympus E-PL3 and seemed to have more savvy, but not a whole lot more. Next day at the incredible Krka falls a complaint was heard that the kit zoom did not go wide enough. In a fit of altruism to a fellow m43 user I loaned my Panasonic 7-14mm, having made sure that it was not dropped. I was greeted with the comment:

"I never knew that you could get lenses like this!"

So maybe we do not yet have a monopoly on photographic gear wisdom...

Olympus PEN E-PL3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-F5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Pentax K-r
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow