Switching from PC to Mac.. anything you wish you knew?

Started Nov 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
graybalanced
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,094
Like?
Re: Switching from PC to Mac.. anything you wish you knew?
In reply to akaRon, Nov 13, 2012

akaRon wrote:

graybalanced wrote:

If you want to press the point about shutting down, well, did you know that you can also press the power button on a Mac?

But that just puts it to sleep, yes? I shut everything off when done because all the peripherals are on a power strip, which gets turned off. I just don't like the computer being on 24/7, even though it's in sleep mode.

Ah...The power button is configurable on Mac desktops, so if your experience is that pressing the power button immediately sleeps the Mac, you may not have been aware that was how it was configured. It's also possible that Apple sets a different default for the desktops than the laptops.

If you press the power button on a Mac laptop, a confirmation dialog pops up with four options: Restart, Sleep, Cancel, and Shut Down. The default button is Shut Down so pressing Enter continues the process, while pressing R restarts it, S sleeps it, and Esc backs you out.

There are also alternate keyboard shortcuts that will bring up the same dialog box, like Control-Eject, on a keyboard without a power button. I think that shortcut has changed on the newer Macs that have no optical drive (no eject).

No problem on wanting to shut down every night if that's how you prefer to use it.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow