How big would a 100-200 f2.8 m43 OIS be?

Started Nov 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
JosephScha
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,229Gear list
Like?
Re: How big would a 100-200 f2.8 m43 OIS be?
In reply to IrishhAndy, Nov 13, 2012

You know, I've been missing from this forum almost entirely for about 2 weeks - and now that I'm here I see this nonsense about shutter shock.

Almost every SLR ever made has a 2 curtain shutter.  By definition, every SLR and DSLR ever made has a mirror that slaps up when the exposure is made, then drops down again - many have  "mirror lock up" function to prevent that from shaking the camera. It was more significant than "shutter shock".  In fact, I don't remember seeing the term "shutter shock" before today.

I recently had to take some pictures of very old pictures (from the 1920s).  As usual, I laid them out on a nice low table, used my Manfrotto 190XProB tripod to point the camera exactly perpendicular to their surface, and set the 10 second timer.  I used f/7.1 for sharpness. The tripod was on my living room carpet, not a solid surface.  So any shutter shock would surely have shaken the camera, and produced visible blur.  I regret to inform the people who want to write about shutter shock that the pictures were razor sharp, I've looked at them at 100% resolution and I am very pleased.

On a theoretical level it makes perfect sense that shutter motion must shake the camera slightly.  But it seems it must be insignificant, to me.

-- hide signature --

js

JosephScha's gear list:JosephScha's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G10 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow