Started Nov 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 17,538Gear list
Like?
Re: Have a listen......
In reply to Skip, Nov 13, 2012

Skip wrote:

Anders W wrote:

Not inferior but different. An MFT shutter does double duty. Unlike the shutter on a DSLR using its OVF, it is open (for live view), when the shutter button is pressed. It then first has to close (to reset the sensor prior to exposure), then open (for exposure), then close again (for readout), and finally open again (to continue live view).

The first part of this sequence (shutter closing before exposure) is somewhat analogous to the mirror slap on an SLR and is responsible for at least part of the shutter shock (perhaps the most significant part). On Oly (but not Pany) bodies, there is something analogous to mirror lock-up known as the anti-shock setting. This setting introduces a delay between the time the shutter closes prior to exposure and its opening again for exposure, thereby eliminating the shock caused by the first stage of shutter action.

Thanks for the explanation. I now get the difference in operation between mft and dslr. How does the mft operation compare to say my fz150? Does it have that same close-open-close-open cycle?

Yes, I would think so although I am not perfectly sure. Some mirrorless cameras, e.g., recent NEX models, have a sensor that makes the first half of the four-stage shutter action redundant. More specifically, they can reset the sensor prior to exposure without closing the mechanical shutter first (known as an electronic first curtain). This in turn means that exposure can begin without any mechanical shutter action (at least at lower shutter speeds, where you don't need a slit to minimize exposure). All the mechanical shutter has to do is to end exposure by closing itself and then open again after readout to continue live view.

I would guess we might soon see something similar on MFT cameras, unless the idea is preempted by a full-blown global electronic shutter, eliminating the mechanical shutter altogether.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow