EM5 battery charger (BCN-1) died - now....?

Started Nov 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
W A Stewart
Contributing MemberPosts: 998Gear list
Like?
EM5 battery charger (BCN-1) died - now....?
Nov 13, 2012

Pretty strange, it seems to me.  I have two genuine Olympus batteries and the Olympus charger (BCN-1).  It doesn't work.  I thought perhaps the light just didn't go on so I left it for most of the day... no charging occurred.  So currently I'm using one of the more common generic chargers that came with a generic battery.  I'd rather not use the battery - I got it when it wasn't possible to buy second Oly batteries.  Now I am worried about using the non-standard charger on my Oly battery.  I am pretty sure the batteries don't have quite the same specs, but I'm electronics-wise clueless.  Any suggestions... well, I'm off to eBay-land to seek another BCN-1.

An aside: I've been weighing a second EM5 versus a GH3.  I have a GH2 for ultra-wide 16:9 uses (though I generally prefer 4:3).  So a GH3 would be yet another UI.  But I have a feeling, possibly wrong, that the EM5 is a bit fragile.  I like it a lot but think - perhaps wrongly - that the GH3 is likely more robust.  This experience with the charger doesn't improve the odds of another EM5.

-- hide signature --

W Alex Stewart

W A Stewart's gear list:W A Stewart's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +7 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow