Focus accuracy: D5000 & 85mm, f/1.8. Measuring @ 1 meter the focus is off by 5mm.

Started Nov 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
mehigh
Contributing MemberPosts: 747Gear list
Like?
Re: Focus accuracy: D5000 & 85mm, f/1.8. Measuring @ 1 meter the focus is off by 5mm.
In reply to Jerry R, Nov 13, 2012

Hi

I would say no. This will give you a lot of unfocused shots and misery. The focus has to be spot on.

Unfortunately you don't have micro focus adjustment on your camera so my advice to you would be to send your D5000 to the nikon service to get it calibrated to your new lens.

I also bought the 85mm F1.8 and the focus was off. My D90 is now in their service...I'll have to pick it up in the next 4-5 weeks, hopefully fixed.

It's very hard to find a lens that works perfectly with your camera. That's why they invented the micro focus adjustment to give a change to the customers that are aware of those things to fix those issues themselves

Jerry R wrote:

Focus accuracy: D5000 & 85mm, f/1.8. Measuring @ 1 meter the focus is off by 5mm.

The measurement was made at an angle of 45 degrees with a calibrated steel ruler.

Would this be considered within specification?

-- hide signature --
 mehigh's gear list:mehigh's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow