D800E and 70-200: how much better is VRII over VRI?

Started Nov 11, 2012 | Questions thread
anotherMike
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,155
Like?
Re: D800E and 70-200: how much better is VRII over VRI?
In reply to SixDasher, Nov 12, 2012

Well, your post will probably cost me a little coin, 'cause I think I'm going to start looking out for an old 50/2 AI to play with. I ran through all the Nikon core 50's - the 1.4 and 1.8 AFD and the 1.4 and 1.8G in several tests, and the 1.8G was the clear winner for me, but I still remember that old 50/2, so if I can find one cheap, I might just go for it.

As far as the 35/1.4G goes - it's a very nice lens. A bit "old school" in terms of rendering. Very well balanced - it's sharp enough, contrasty enough, has nice bokeh - a lens that doesn't let you down in any one area but at the same time perhaps doesn't blow your mind in any one area. Honestly a lens for the more visually mature photographers who have moved beyond "sharpness is the only thing I care about" stage in their lives, I suppose one could say.  I like it a lot.

I recently shot with a Zeiss 35/2 and a Zeiss 21/2.8 on a D600 - my first time with these lenses on high resolution bodies, and while I never was a big Zeiss fan on the lower rez bodies, I gotta say the 21/2.8 in particular impressed the hell out of me on the D600 - much more so than on a D700. The 35/2 didn't blow me away quite as much though - still very nice, but that's to be expected. Still waiting to see what the new 135 apo-sonnar looks like; samples images I've seen so far flat out blow me away - it very well could be the king of their ZF.2 lineup and the best in that focal length range, even surpassing the legendary Voigtlander 125 from the early look of things. We'll see.

-m

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow