How important is having the same system as your shooting partner?

Started Nov 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
t3htriste
Forum MemberPosts: 77Gear list
Like?
Re: How important is having the same system as your shooting partner?
In reply to quallsphoto, Nov 12, 2012

quallsphoto wrote:

T3HTRISTE,

As your friend's business grows, having all shooters use a shared system will be MUCH more economical for her or him, because the team can access a shared pool of equipment. Post-processing will also flow faster if your friend has to work with RAW images in 1 format instead of 2.

Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking. What you say and what PenguinPhotoCo said about the topic of colour rendition and whatnot highlights the advantages of having acceptably similar output ready for post-processing.

As 2nd shooter, you do not necessarily need the exact same camera body as the primary. To lower costs, some wedding studios use a Full-Frame body for the 1st shooter, a Crop body with same lens mount for the 2nd shooter, and a 3rd Crop body as a backup. If the primary needs a slightly longer lens, then you mount the longest lens available on a Crop body for immediate 1.4x magnification, without needing a teleconverter.

I didn't even think about crop bodies as a second shooter this time around (mainly because I'm skeptical on Nikon's support of DX lenses). I'll keep it mind, even though that would mean that the gear-hopping I've done be in vain. 

But for me, what matters most is that the secondary shooter work in a Complementary Style. At a wedding, for example, while I'm creating bridal or groom prep images, the secondary starts shooting details . . . While I'm focused on the bride coming down the isle, the secondary is capturing the groom's "first look" . . . That is much more valuable that having the secondary take duplicates of all my shots from awkward angles. Good preparation and communication is the key here.

That's a very good point, and noted.

BUT HAVE YOU CONSIDERED: If you are HIRED as 2nd shooter on a wedding, are you going to sign a photo release and turn over rights to all your images? Or did you plan to use a copy of those images to build up your personal portfolio? Does your friend agree? How do the Bride and Groom feel about this? (My 2nd shooter signs a release.) . . . What happens if Your equipment is damaged on a shoot? Is it insured? Or do you expect your friend's business to replace it? . . . If a wedding guest trips over Your camera bag and is injured, who is liable? . . . These and other business issues were brought up during Sal Cincotta's "Wedding Photography Boot Camp" on CreativeLIVE. It is better to get them resolved up front than to ruin a friendship over a misunderstanding.

We haven't properly looked at the business side of things yet, with everything being early days--but I will have a look at what you say there. Thank you!

t3htriste's gear list:t3htriste's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow