Started Nov 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jimim
New MemberPosts: 21
Like?
Looking for more sharpness
Nov 12, 2012

HI. I hope you all can help me out to make shopping a bit easier and that I don't cause a battle re: sharpness.

I am def learning to be a better photographer each day and I fell I have learned alot especially this year with taking the time to understand lighting and external flash use.

My camera is a 7D and I primarily use the 17-55 2.8 from canon.  It worked well for me the past 2 years but I want to start to grow a bit and buy some new glass.  After looking at most of my sots over the past 2 years I'm always zoomed at 35mm and 50 mm approx.  I want more sharpness and have prime lens in my head.  Today when I called a shop in my area to go look at the 50L and 50 1.4 they asked if I was ever going to go full frame.  I said yes and they want me to look a the Tamron 24-70mm 2.8 with stabilization or the new Canon 24-70 2.8.  They are telling me that the sharpness of either of these lens at 35 and 50 are just as sharp as the primes and this would get me ready to go full frame.  They also said that the Tamron they feel is identical to the new canon but has the benefit of stabilization and is half the price.  They feel I should really give the new tamron a serious look and that way I wouldn't be switching lens.

So I was just looking for some direction for a sample of you folk out there.

I don't really care about price and I don't care about switching lens if I went with the prime route.  I am also not against buying another zoom that is similiar to what I have now if it is that much sharper.

Also just to through in here is the 50 1.2 vs the 1.4 that much sharper at apertures like in the 4 through 11 range.  I don't really need the lens for low light condition.  I'm just looking at picture quality and sharpness.

Feel free to correct me if I'm totally off here.  Like I said I'm learning and appreciate any help.

Thanks so much.

jim

Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow