A Owens
Senior MemberPosts: 2,169
Like?
Re: Wideangel lens for D800
In reply to Dan_168, Nov 12, 2012

Dan_168 wrote:

A Owens wrote:

Dan_168 wrote:

For my D800E, my all time WA lens is Zeiss 21 and followed by the 14-24G, this is my 800E is my dedicated landscape set up.

Have you used the 16-35 yourself Dan? I ask because I value your input, thanks.

-- hide signature --

Alistair Owens
www.alistairowensphotography.com

I do NOT own that 16-35 VR but I have shot with it a many times when my friend was making the same WA lens purchase decision and he borrowed both my Zeiss 21 and 14-24 to compare to his 16-35 VR, we all agree optically the 14-24G is obviously better in terms of edge sharpness and contrast but at the end he decided to keep the 16-35 VR instead, we are quite opposite kind of a guy, I am the "not comfortable putting anything in front of my lens unless I have to" guy and he is the "can't sleep well without a UV protection on any lens " kind of guy, so for him the ability to use a regular UV filter out-weight the slightly better optic on the 14-24G, and the flexibilities of the zoom out-weights the more superior optic on the Zeiss, but he does agree the Zeiss 21 is MUCH MUCH better optically compare to the 16-35 but again he value the zoom flexibility and filter protection a lot.

So it all depends on your own priorities, all three lenses discussed here has its own strength and weakness and I don't think there is a clear universal winner among them but only a "more favorable personal pick" among the individuals.

Many thanks Dan. Food for thought indeed. I have a Samyang 14mm coming tomorrow and I will start off with that and see where it takes me. I am still getting familiar with the 800e; such a different beast to my ancient 1dsII which looks at me accusingly from the camera bag.

-- hide signature --

Alistair Owens
www.alistairowensphotography.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow