shutter shock

Started Nov 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 17,107Gear list
Like?
Re: shutter shock
In reply to bowportes, Nov 12, 2012

bowportes wrote:

The new gremlin on this forum seems to be shutter shock. I own a G5, GH2, GX1 and several lenses, including what is supposed to be one of the most notorious shutter-shock offenders, the PZ 14-42.

My observation is that my PZ14-42 is _very_ sharp for a pancake zoom. I only observe the image softness on my GX1 and GH2 between about 1/60th and 1/200th of a second, which I studiously avoid. It's easy to do so because I generally want to shoot at 1/200th or higher outside, and often need to go slower than 1/60th inside. Its excellent OIS gives stellar results at 1/8th and 1/15th of a second.

I've not observed similar softness in the 1/60th to 1/200th range with any of my other lenses, and yet we are beginning to see "shutter shock" references and suspicions applied liberally in the forum. The GX1, which is an amazing little camera, is written off by some with a sweeping "shutter shock" dismissal. Some tout the new G5, saying its electronic shutter eliminates the shutter-shock that plagues other m4/3s cameras.

What I'm wondering is:

1. What micro four-thirds lenses and cameras have actual, documentable problems with shutter-shock that adversely affect photos on a consistent basis -- problems that that are clearly recognizable in daily use.

Probably most/all have it to some extent although the degree to which it is documented varies.

2. Are there remedies (such as my avoiding of certain shutter speeds with the GX1 and PZ14-42) that obviate the problem?

The primary remedy is to avoid certain shutter speeds. A secondary remedy, available on Oly bodies, is to use the anti-shock setting to introduce a delay between two phases of shutter action: shutter closing prior to exposure and shutter opening for exposure (then closing again for readout, then opening again to continue live view).

3. Is there visual evidence, with a camera such as the G5, that photos are actually improved by shifting from the mechanical to the electronic shutter? Has anyone done comparison tests on a tripod that documents the improvement?

See this thread:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/42375664

4. Do readers think the "shutter shock" problem is exaggerated or over-generalized to equipment where it doesn't really apply? I'm wondering whether "electronic shutter" will become a new must-have feature, because we've hyped a new disease that it is designed to cure.

I certainly don't think the problem has been exaggerated. It's a very real issue in my experience.

I'm putting this on the table to hear readers thoughts. I'm not sure what I think about these questions, so I thought I'd draw on the experience of others. I DO KNOW, though, that the electronic shutter on the G5 bothers me some. I'm used to feeling and hearing a shutter with a "real camera" -- haven't experienced that kind of silence since I used a small-sensor Lumix P&S. It also annoys me that certain constraints are imposed on shots with the electronic shutter. I leave it set to on, and then when I pick up the camera to take a quick flash shot, the flash doesn't work. It takes me a while to remember that the flash has been disabled because the electronic shutter is turned on.

Some more general info:

The best summary of the problem of which I am currently aware is this thread, including the links in the first two posts.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/42406972

The link in the first post is dated and should be replaced by the following:

http://cameraergonomics.blogspot.com.au/2012/09/micro-43-shutter-shock-revisited-omd-em.html

This link is also of interest:

http://cameraergonomics.blogspot.com.au/2012/05/micro-four-thirds-shutter-shake.html

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow