Proper Blind Exposure with a Gray Card

Started Nov 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
panos_m
Senior MemberPosts: 1,211
Like?
Re: Proper Blind Exposure with a Gray Card
In reply to Jack Hogan, Nov 12, 2012

Hmm! For a camera meter to be calibrated at 18% it must read 2.47 stops lower than saturation for the green channel. I meter my D3 to 3.3 stops and my GF1 to 3 stops. So they are not calibrated to 18% :).

Jack Hogan wrote:

I would be interested in your opinion with regards to the following concepts on metering ‘blind’ with a gray card:

1. that ‘blind’ exposure is defined in ths context as the exposure to be chosen with the sole help of a spot meter, without knowledge of the scene, time or place – it is the input quantity to the camera sensing medium
  2. that ‘proper’ blind exposure is defined in this context as the exposure that allows a camera to best record on its sensing medium a subset of the relative distribution of photons reflected from the scene; the full set is the relative distribution of photons that would be perceived by the human visual system in the same setting as the camera
  3. that brightness is an output medium dependent quantity typically not related linearly to exposure
  4. that for a given ISO the job of calibrated spot meters is to provide indications of shutter speed and aperture to achieve proper blind exposure
  5. that spot meters do not know or care what average scene reflectance or reference card is in front of them
  6. that in order to achieve proper blind exposure with most DSLRs it is best to use a standard Middle Gray card (that is one with 18% reflectance), which is what their spot meters are calibrated to
  7. that when metering off of and capturing such a target a DSLR will typically record digital raw values about 0.127 times the full scale reading of the sensor, subject to many provisos
  8. that if instead of a Middle Gray card a 12% reflectance card (or alternatively an 18% card with a ½ stop positive Exposure Correction) is used to set Exposure, the meter is fooled into raising Exposure by half a stop, reducing a DSLR’s designed highlight hard ceiling accordingly
  9. that if exposure is locked as per this last case, a Middle Gray tone will be recorded by a DSLR at raw values around 0.18 times the full scale of the sensor, so that a capture of an 18% Gray Card will record raw values of about 18% of Full Scale
  10. that other than a warm and fuzzy feeling there is no reason why those two percentages should be the same
  11. that we should all write an email to someone with whom I share a last name telling him that his blog entry on this subject is confusing a lot of peopleand does not stand up to his otherwise excellent standards

To help with the discussion I include this image:

Thanks for your input,
Jack

-- hide signature --

Panagiotis

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Why?New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow